When pregnant, most women will only focus on safe delivery practices. However, this is not the only thing that they should put all their focus. During the nine months of pregnancy, there is a lot of need to focus on self-care. In this way, the mother ensures that the baby is safe even when still unborn.
Among the things that women find difficult to do when pregnant is to fall asleep. However, in using pregnancy pillows, this should not be the problem anymore. The issue remains with how to sleep with a pregnancy pillow. We can agree that not many of the women know how to use the pregnancy pillows. Considering this, we shall discuss how pregnancy pillows work and ways in which they are of benefit to the user.
Learn when to start using pregnancy pillows
Most doctors will recommend a pregnant woman to begin using the cushions after the first 20 weeks of the pregnancy. However, there is no fixed time as to when you should start using the pillow. The earlier you start, the better as it helps you o adapt to its uses. When you begin to feel some levels of uncomforting sleeping positions, start using pregnancy pillows.
Learn about different pregnancy pillow types
Each woman will have a different pregnancy from the others. Therefore, the kind of discomfort one feels is not what the other woman feels. As a result, there are a variety of pregnancy pillow types to suit different needs. The pillow you buy should go in line with the reason for buying one. Examples of these pillows include;
- The U-shape Pillow: now, if you are the type who turn and toss in your sleep, or love sleeping on your back or side, this is a perfect pillow for you. It offers full body support and fits well if you have extra space in your bed. You can snuggle at the middle of the cushion for maximum head, neck and back comfort.
- Wedge Pillow: if you’re looking for a perfect pregnancy pillow to use even after pregnancy, the wedge pillow is a great option. You can choose to use either the round or the triangular wedge pregnancy pillow. Place the pillow under the tummy for sufficient support when sleeping on your side. The cushion acts best as a reflux and heartburn reliever.
- Inflatable Pregnancy pillows: in case you love to sleep on your stomach, this pillow will be an excellent choice for you. Also, if you want to heighten the levels of support, or you are in the third trimester, this will be a perfect choice. After you get the pillow inflated, lay on it gently. Set the baby bump into the provided within the cushion. If you want to increase the comfort of the support, consider placing a towel on its top. It’s a perfect option that is unique for these types of sleepers. Therefore, consider giving it a try, and you’ll love the quality.
- The Full-Length Pregnancy Pillow: if you’re looking for a cushion that will offer support to your body entirely, this is the selection for you. It’s suitable for your limbs and provides sufficient support for your tummy. You can consider selecting between the straight full-length and the flexible-full-length pillows. You use the pillow for hugs and cuddle. The way it works, you cannot place it under your tummy or back. To use it effectively, put your belly at the center of the pillow. Then wrap your arms and legs around the pillow. In this way, you can relax and enjoy the comfort it offers to your body.
Benefits of using pregnancy pillows
Now that you know about how to use a different type of pillows and how suitable each is for you, what are the benefits of using them?
- Enhanced blood circulation: when you’re pregnant, your blood circulation needs to be sufficient for the safety of the fetus. The best way to enhance sufficient blood circulation is to sleep on the side. However, this is not a desirable position when pregnant.
But with the addition of the extra cushioning, you’re able to sleep comfortably on your side and therefore promoting sufficient flow of blood throughout your body.
- Reduces body pains: If you desire to eliminate the aches in your body when pregnant, give your back, hips and legs room to rest. Such is possible in using a pregnancy pillow as it offers support to these body parts. In these ways, it helps to relieve the pains.
- Improved sleep: if you want to have a safe and robust pregnancy, there is a need to have enough sleep. However, this is not simple to achieve, but with a pregnancy pillow, you can sleep longer and better sleep.
Now that you know how to use pregnancy pillows and their benefits to your health, you have all the reasons to buy one. Choose a cushion that fits your needs. My wish is that you find the article helpful on how to sleep with a pregnancy pillow.